Anders Zanichkowsky will travel to the Arctic in June after spending time mapping the shorelines of the Madison Isthmus. 

Madison artist’s Arctic expedition will document landscape

A Madison artist will participate in a three-week sailing expedition around the Arctic to create works of the polar environment and call attention to global warming.

Anders Zanichkowsky will travel to the Arctic in June with a program for artists and scientists, according to a statement. He has spent the past three years making drawings, maps and charts from the shorelines of the Madison isthmus.

Zanichkowsky’s art will explore themes of light, time and ecology. It will include drawings of the water and landscape, long-exposure photographs to show the path of the sun during the summer solstice and photographic blueprints of drawings known as cyanotypes.

The expedition will take place around Svalbard, a group of Norwegian islands near the North Pole ice cap.

“There have always been artists and writers and poets who have made work on these kinds of expeditions, a rich part of the history of polar exploration,” Zanichkowsky said. “I think it’s really important right now for artists who are involved in social justice issues and artists who are involved in scientific research to continue that legacy.”

Through his works, the artist hopes to document the changing landscape of the Arctic and raise awareness of global warming.

Melting ice caps have caused global sea levels to rise and temperatures to increase. This occurs because ice reflects light, which creates a cooling effect, Zanichkowsky explained.

“It may be that there aren’t glaciers in 50 years, it may be that we can’t access that landscape or that it will look very, very different in 50 or 100 years,” he said.

This expedition comes on the heels of COP21, the Paris Climate Conference that lasted from November to December of last year. After weeks of negotiation, 195 countries adopted the first universal climate agreement, according to the COP21 website.

The countries agreed on aims to limit the global temperature rise this century. They included reducing their greenhouse gas emissions, strengthening their abilities to recover from climate change and increasing the financial support for green practices, according to the U.N. Climate Change Newsroom.

To fund his work documenting climate change, Zanichkowsky is trying to raise $8,250 from the community before March 1.