Matt Ferris

Learning how to make the most out of being a student athlete at Wisconsin

Every college athlete hears the same thing: “You must be so busy with sports and school, I don’t know how you do it!” I normally smile, shake my head, mutter something about my schedule being hectic and move on with my life.

Growing up, my eyes were glued to the TV, fantasizing about being a college basketball player. It looked glamorous and exciting to play on national television in front of millions of viewers. Until now, I never quite understood the amount of work those athletes put in on a daily basis. For lack of a better term, it looked easy. Spoiler alert: it’s not.

Normal days consist of a routine that by now I could complete with two eyes closed. I begin with a quick breakfast before heading off to my two morning classes. Classes stretch from 9:30 to 12:15. If I’m smart, I pack a lunch so I can make lifting, which begins promptly at 1 p.m. After the hour-long lift, we gather for a team meeting of either opponent scout or film. At 3 p.m., practice begins and will be complete by 5 p.m. on a good day.

From there is rehab and recovery, which lasts approximately 45 minutes, some longer and some shorter, as well as showering and other bodily maintenance items. Which brings us to a 6 p.m. dinner prepared by the Kohl Center for our convenience. After dinner, at about 6:30, I’ll be on my way home. I’ll usually spend approximately two hours working on daily assignments for classes, bringing the day to about 9 pm. If it’s midterm season, I’ll spend another three to four hours studying material so that I’m prepared for the exams. And finally, around 12:30 a.m. with my body and brain feeling like they’re falling apart, I’ll lay my head to sleep and set the alarm for 8:30 a.m. to do it all again the next day.

Sounds pretty glorious, huh?

This schedule totally excludes road trips and extracurricular activities. Add on top of that mid-week road trips such as traveling to Iowa on a Tuesday night for an 8 p.m. Wednesday game, missing classes on both of those days and returning home at a bright and early 3 a.m. before taking a midterm that evening at 7 p.m. (aka my schedule this week). It’s not all fun and games.

After explaining my schedule, some ask, “Well, why do you do it?”

After all, I don’t have an athletic scholarship. College athletics are difficult on a multitude of levels: physically, emotionally and mentally. I could be using the time spent at practice and games to work, make money and gain experience for my professional life after basketball. I’d be able to go out on the weekend and enjoy consuming multiple root beers with friends. I would have more time to study and record higher grades as well because I wouldn’t miss any classes.

But I look at it with a much more optimistic lens. I’m doing it because I’m living a dream conjured up in the third grade. I’m traveling the United States playing the game I love with some of my greatest friends. I’ve made more lifelong friends during the past two years than I did the previous 18. I’ve experienced a Final Four and Big Ten Championship firsthand, and I compete every day at the highest level possible for an amateur athlete. Not many people can say they’ve been dunked on by not only one or two, but three NBA players on a daily basis. It’s the little things.

So the next time you see Nigel Hayes on SportsCenter, know that it took immense amounts of hard work and drudgery to achieve his success. Believe me, he certainly sacrificed to get there; but if you ask him or any other athlete, they’ll be glad they did.