Taylor-Paige Stewart

Taylor-Paige Stewart struggled against Louisville in game one but then bounced back to defeat North Carolina State. 

Badgers pick up pair of wins at Kajikawa Classic

Wisconsin improves to 3-1 on second day of tournament in Tempe, Ariz.

Wisconsin (3-1) took care of business Saturday, beating Nevada 3-2 and Portland State 13-5 in the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz.

The Badgers jumped out to a 1-0 lead on an RBI single from sophomore infielder Samantha Arents in the second inning. The Badgers later picked up two runs in the fourth inning on a fielder’s choice off Arents’ bat to push the lead to 3-0.

Nevada (2-1) scored a run in the sixth on a sacrifice fly. A seventh inning rally, including a solo home run and a two-out single, was shut down by senior pitcher Taylor-Paige Stewart, securing the Badgers' victory.

Junior pitcher Kristen Stevens picked up the win, pitching 5 1/3 innings, allowing seven hits, one run and striking out six.

Wisconsin didn’t waste any time against Portland State (0-2 overall) in game two, scoring seven first-inning runs, highlighted by a grand slam by freshman right fielder Brooke Mann.

Eight Badgers recorded at least one RBI, led by Mann’s four and two each from freshman catcher Melanie Cross and freshman outfielder Kelly Welsh.

Stewart earned the win for UW, going four innings, allowing eight hits, four runs and striking out two.

The Badgers finish up play in the Kajikawa Classic Sunday against UC Riverside at 10 a.m.