Joel Stave

Redshirt senior quarterback Joel Stave is among the UW players who will take the field at Camp Randall for the final time Saturday.

Wisconsin coaches reflect on last weekend, look ahead

Football

Head coach Paul Chryst knows the importance of this upcoming week’s game against Northwestern (4-2 Big Ten, 8-2 overall) for the Badgers (5-1, 8-2), and more importantly the seniors, as they will be suiting up at Camp Randall Stadium for the last time in their collegiate careers.

“I think it’s special for all players as they finish their career, and for that matter for their families, and, yet, I think Camp Randall is a pretty neat place to play,” Chryst said.

Senior day against the Wildcats will not only be a symbolic game for the seniors, as it has profound bowl implications for both teams.

“But I think that you will look back, and it will be very specific, this game is going to have—all the games do—but as you get closer this is going to, I think, play a big part in determining where we go,” Chryst said.

Regardless of the result on Saturday, with a bowl game coming up on the horizon, Chryst knows how important it his for his players to have fun but also remain focused on the task at hand to “be in the moment.”

Volleyball

No. 10 Wisconsin (12-4 Big Ten, 20-6 overall) extended its winning streak to eight games this past week, securing victories over Michigan (7-9, 17-10) and Iowa (2-14,12-17).

Senior libero Taylor Morey has been an essential piece of the team this season in her final campaign as a Badger.

“I think she has done a great job of just leading; how do we show strength in fighting through when things aren’t going our way? I thought Courtney Thomas did a great job of that the previous couple of years, I thought Annemarie Hickey did that two years ago,” head coach Kelly Sheffield said. “Taylor has kind of led that charge this way. When it gets to be a grind she is doing a lot better job of embracing the grind.”

The Badgers look to continue their winning streak this upcoming week on the road Wednesday against No. 18 Illinois (9-7, 18-9) before returning to Madison for senior night Sunday versus Ohio State (10-6, 21-7).

Men’s Hockey

Wisconsin (3-4-3) had a bye last week and now looks forward to its upcoming opponent, Denver (6-3-1).

Head coach Mike Eaves had an interesting anecdote to share as he discussed his team’s progress and expectations at this point in the season.

“I was walking in the Kohl Center last week and ran into Ed [Walsh], who is an electrician, and has been there a long time, he’s seen a lot of sports and athletics, and he made an interesting comment. He said, ‘Well, you beat North Dakota. They’re the number one team in the country. I guess that kinda means you can beat anybody now,’” Eaves said.

Injured sophomore center Cameron Hughes is a player Eaves hopes will be able to get back into the lineup soon, but the depth Wisconsin has at that position is easing the blow.

“I think right now it’s doubtful. I think it’s day-to-day here, as we get into this week, but speaking right now and what we saw last week, it would be doubtful,” Eaves said. “But I know one thing about Cameron, if there is any chance, he will certainly want an avenue to get in there.”

Women’s Basketball

Wisconsin (1-0) opened the regular season with a win last weekend against Louisiana Tech (0-1). Head coach Bobbie Kelsey was pleased with the execution of her team.

“We had a nice game the other day versus a tough LA Tech team,” Kelsey said. “Good game for us to start and we got good production out of those who played.”

As Wisconsin looks forward to games against Drake and Dayton, Kelsey believes it could be anyone’s time to step up.

“We don’t have preferences as coaches,” Kelsey said. “We just want the job to get done.”

Women’s Hockey

Coming off a weekend sweep of Minnesota-Duluth (2-6-0 WCHA, 4-8-0 overall), head coach Mark Johnson and No. 1 Wisconsin (10-0-0, 12-0-0) have yet to lose a game this season.

As the Badgers look forward in the season, Johnson believes the team is in a great spot.

“Eight games to play until finals, and we’re in a good position, but we’re trying to get better,” Johnson said.

Junior defenseman Jenny Ryan has been a big part of the success for Wisconsin thus far as well as in the series against UMD, where she accrued four assists.

“It was a good way to come out, I thought Jenny played her best game of her career on Friday,” Johnson said.

Next weekend Wisconsin returns home to Madison to play a nonconference series against Lindenwood (1-3-2, 3-7-2).