Madison grants vouchers to provide homeless veterans with housing

The office of the mayor announced Wednesday that the HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing program will provide permanent residence for 25 homeless veterans in the city of Madison.

Mayor Paul Soglin declared that the City of Madison, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the William S. Middleton VA Hospital joined together, along with Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., to grant vouchers to the veterans.

“We have a shared responsibility to meet the needs of veterans who served our nation and who experience homelessness,” Baldwin said in a press release.

The housing development on Rethke Avenue is currently under construction, and its 70 units are expected to be finished in April. The vouchers amount to $135,000 in support for the veterans, according to the release.

Permanent housing for the veterans will also include clinical services as well as case management.

“I’m proud to support this collaboration between the Community Development Authority of the City of Madison and the William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital to serve those who have bravely served this nation,” Baldwin said in the release.