Corey Clement

Clement suffers cut to hand in off-campus incident

Corey Clement’s road back to full health has taken an unexpected turn. The junior running back “suffered a cut to his hand following an incident at his off-campus residence early Sunday morning,” according to a Thursday release from the Wisconsin Athletic Department.

The release stated, “Clement was returning to his residence when he witnessed a verbal dispute between a security guard at his apartment building and a group of individuals.” Clement became involved in the dispute, and both he and the security guard were assaulted by the group of individuals, which led to the cut to his hand.

The incident is still under police investigation and, as such, neither Clement, head coach Paul Chryst nor the Wisconsin Athletic Department have any further comment.

After undergoing surgery on a sports hernia in late September, Clement returned to the playing field for an Oct. 31 game against Rutgers. Clement rushed for 115 yards and three touchdowns on 11 carries in Wisconsin’s 48-10 win over the Scarlet Knights, but he did not travel with the team to Maryland the following week due to persistent soreness from the surgery. The incident that resulted in the cut to Clement’s hand occurred Nov. 8, the morning after the Maryland game.