Dan Voltz

Redshirt junior Dan Voltz has decided to retire from football. Voltz suffered a serious knee injury last season and was transitioning to a new position.

Voltz marches to his own drum

In movies and TV shows, high schools often feature two stereotypes: band nerds and jocks. Dan Voltz would have been the character that defies the societal norms, a Troy Bolton-esque protagonist that excels athletically and musically. Maybe he’s not exactly like Zac Efron’s character from “High School Musical,” but Voltz has a love for both music and football.

In his high school days, he played in the honors jazz band for three years while shining under the Friday night lights. He began playing the drums in third or fourth grade and developed a passion for the instrument.  

“I’ve been a musician my whole life, it’s a completely different side of me than football is,” Voltz said. “Football is physical and intense, music is more laid back and relaxed, so it’s kinda like a getaway from football.”

In addition to the jazz band, Voltz played in a band in high school, comprised of his brother’s friends. They performed at five or six concerts in the area, at festivals and bars and even participated in his school’s battle of the bands. 

“I don’t think we even came close to placing. But it was really fun,” Voltz said. 

While he has had to push music to the side to focus on football, Voltz still plays from time to time when he goes back home. In the meantime, he said that he misses playing quite a bit. 

“It still pops in my head all the time. Music was a really big part of my life. I was more into music than sports even when I started playing,” Voltz said. “Definitely music is just as much of a passion for me as sports are.”

Besides playing music, Voltz is also an avid fisher, often going by himself to Monona Bay to get away from the fast-paced college lifestyle. Fellow offensive lineman Tyler Marz is one of his favorite fishing partners when he doesn’t go alone. He’s also huge into ice fishing, going up to Chippewa Falls, Wis., once a year in January with a buddy.

But this isn’t your typical ice fishing trip, filled with mostly sitting around and drinking adult beverages. Voltz and his buddies set up tip-ups all over the lake and then sit down in the middle, with their eyes peeled on all the tip-ups. 

“The set up is brutal because it’s usually zero degrees and you’re trudging on a frozen lake usually with snow on it, you’ve got all your gear on, you’re sweating and then you finally get them all done, you sit down and it’s kinda that relaxing moment,” Voltz said. “And then you see your first flag pop out, you sprint over and you reel up a fish and it’s definitely an adrenaline rush.” 

Badger fans can rest easy knowing that Voltz is getting his conditioning in over the winter break, running around on a frozen lake from pole to pole to catch a few fish. 

“The funny part is sometimes you’ll see a flag pop up here and there and it’s like ‘oh crap, we gotta go,’ so you just start to take off and you’re running around. It’s a good time,” Voltz said.

For now, Voltz is focused on continuing the tradition of excellent Wisconsin linemen. The Badgers move on with conference play against Nebraska next week, hoping to get into the win column. Voltz will continue to be a key player, especially as Wisconsin attempts to re-establish an effective running game.