Adrian Remeniuk

The Badgers are heading back on the road, where they’re 2-2-1 this year.

UW looks to continue road success in St. Louis

Having finally earned their first point at home thanks to a 0-0 draw against Michigan St., the Badgers (1-1-2 Big Ten, 2-8-2 overall) will now head back out on a three-game road trip starting in St. Louis. The Badgers have done most of their damage on the road this season, boasting a 2-2-1 record away from Madison.

It’s only the fifth time the Badgers will take on the Bilikens (0-1-2 Atlantic 10, 4-4-2) in the program’s history, and the first since 1987.

Despite the disappointing overall record, Wisconsin has found a way to hang in the conference race, tightening up defensively against Big Ten foes, notching a pair of shutouts through four games. The Badgers stand just three points behind the co-leaders Michigan and Maryland, with a game in hand against both.

“Every point in the Big Ten is important,” UW head coach John Trask said after the tie against Michigan State. “I think we showed [Saturday] that we’re not rolling over on this season. We have a reason to be proud. I’m pretty proud with the way our guys competed.”

Wisconsin endured a rough patch defensively, allowing 12 goals in a span of four games, but enter Wednesday’s match having conceded just one in its last two games, helped by sophomore goalkeeper Adrian Remeniuk’s second shutout of the year.

“I thought Carl Schneider had another very good game. I thought Matej Radonic, until he came out, had a really good game. I thought Adam Lauko was pretty good. You know, Sam Brotherton was outstanding as he went in to head balls,” Trask said of the defensive effort Saturday.

The Bilikens are also coming off of a 0-0 draw, as part of a stretch of four consecutive games that have needed at least one overtime period. After jumping out to a fast start this season, St. Louis is just 1-3-2 in its last six matches.

Leading the way for the Biliken offense is Vince Cicciarelli. The redshirt senior forward transferred from Notre Dame, where he was part of the national championship-winning squad in 2013, his final season of eligibility at the school. Cicciarelli is maintaining a pace better than a point-per-game with four goals and two assists (10 points) through nine contests.

The Badgers will return to conference play after taking on St. Louis, traveling to Columbus to meet Ohio St. Sunday before returning to the state of Wisconsin to play in-state rival Milwaukee next Wednesday.

Kickoff against St. Louis is slated for 7 p.m. Wednesday.