UW continues quest for first home win of 2015

With a big crowd expected to be on hand with free admission for students on “Colony Night” in the student section, the Badgers (1-1-1 Big Ten, 2-7-1 overall) return home to host in-state rival Marquette (0-1-1 Big East, 3-4-2) Wednesday night.

The two sides have met annually since the beginning of the Wisconsin men’s soccer program in 1977, with the Badgers leading the all-time series 18-13-8. The Golden Eagles won last year’s battle 2-0, but have not won in Madison since 1999.

Though the Badgers played well on the road, coming off of a tie against Michigan, they have dropped all five matches played in Madison this season.

Wisconsin enters the match winless in its past four contests, but has shown some encouraging signs on offense of late. After scoring just seven goals total in their first eight games, UW tallied five in its previous two. The defense, which had looked strong earlier in the season, has conceded at least three goals in three straight contests.

The resurgent offense is led by a trio of sophomores, as all three goals in Saturday’s draw against Michigan were scored by second-year forward Tom Barlow, midfielder Christopher Mueller and forward Nick Jones. Joining Barlow and Mueller, sophomore forward Mark Segbers added a point, and the group makes up the Badgers’ top three in goals, assists and points.

Sophomore Adrian Remeniuk has established himself as the lead option in goal for the Badgers, starting six straight games after three different goalies had received a start in a five-game span.

Marquette enters the match wrapping up a four-game road trip and looking for its first win since early September. Redshirt senior forward Kelmend Islami has already doubled his career total, leading the Golden Eagles with four goals. Redshirt senior forward C. Nortey was named to the Big East Honor Roll for the week after finding the back of the net twice to give him 29 goals and 66 points in his career, both among the top 10 all-time in program history.

On the defensive end, the Golden Eagles have turned to freshman Luis Barraza, who has started every game in net, allowing 15 goals in nine contests.

The Badgers will stay at home for its next match as well, welcoming Michigan State Saturday night before embarking on a three-game road trip. Kickoff against Marquette is scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday at the McClimon Soccer Complex.