Austin Traylor

Traylor out 4-8 weeks with arm injury

Wisconsin’s senior tight end Austin Traylor, who expanded his role in the offense this season, will be out 4-8 weeks with a right arm injury, as first reported Thursday morning by the Wisconsin State Journal’s Jason Galloway.

Traylor left in the second half of UW’s 10-6 loss to Iowa last Saturday and did not return.

Traylor entered the year with only three career receptions, but this season he had caught ten before his injury. The senior scored his first career touchdown against Miami (OH), and went on a three-game scoring streak, catching touchdowns against Troy and Hawaii as well. His three touchdown receptions tie him for the most on the team, and he is tied for fourth on the team in receptions with 10.

Traylor’s loss will stunt the Wisconsin passing attack that struggled against Iowa last weekend. However, this week’s opponent, Nebraska, ranks last in the nation in pass defense, so redshirt senior quarterback Joel Stave might have a reprieve for at least one week before the full effect of Traylor’s absence will be felt.

If Traylor comes back after only four weeks, he will be available to play Nov. 7 at Maryland, as well as the Badgers’ two remaining games afterwards. If he ends up needing seven or eight weeks, he will miss the remainder of UW’s regular season games.

Wisconsin will face off against the Nebraska Cornhuskers at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Neb.