Men's Soccer

After its 2-1 win over St. John’s Sept. 19, Wisconsin has an 0-4-1 record and has managed to score just six goals, compared to 13 goals allowed, in that five-game span.

Struggle to find the back of the net at McClimon persists

Coming off a strong performance in a road conference battle, the Badgers (1-1-1 Big Ten, 2-8-1 overall) came back home to once again struggle to find the back of the net. The Badgers were shut out Wednesday for the fourth time in six home games, as they fell to in-state rival Marquette (0-1-1 Big East 4-4-2) 1-0.

The two sides traded opportunities for much of the first half, though neither really threatened early on. Wisconsin had its best chance to head into the break with the lead with just eight minutes to go until halftime, as sophomore forward Tom Barlow was able to draw the Golden Eagle goalkeeper out of net. Barlow’s diving effort hit off the post and bounced back harmlessly into play, one of a flurry of chances toward the end of the half.

The Badgers appeared to take control of the match in the second, holding the Golden Eagles to just four shots total in the final 45 minutes. The home squad was unable to take advantage though, squandering three corner kick opportunities.

In the 77th minute, Marquette was finally able to break the scoreless tie. From outside the 18-yard box, senior defenseman Adam Hermsen sent a cross toward the net that went just beyond the outstretched arm of sophomore goalie Adrian Remeniuk. From there, redshirt senior forward Kelmend Islami was able to put it in for his fifth goal of the year.

Wisconsin generated one more good look with the chance to equalize with just over eight minutes to go, as a header got by the Marquette goalie only to once again be denied by the post.

“We need balls to skim off the post and go in right now,” coach John Trask said. “When we don’t score that goal in the second half, and we seemed to kind of take over the game in many ways, we were just not able to put a play away”

Though the overall defensive effort marked an improvement over the past three contests, allowing at least three goals in all of them, it was still a frustrating end result for a team that has struggled for much of the season.

“There were still positives, but it gets to a point where you can’t sugarcoat it anymore with these guys. You have to be a little more pointed,” Trask said. “It’s a results driven business, and we’re 2-[8]-1.”

The Badgers will remain at home and return to conference play to take on Michigan State Saturday. Despite its overall record, Wisconsin remains in the Big Ten mix after securing points in two of its three conference games thus far.

“I always count on these guys to bounce back, and I think they will,” Trask said. “In some ways we are playing for position in the Big Ten at this point.”

Kickoff against Michigan State is slated for 7 p.m. Saturday at the McClimon Complex.