Record Routine: Drive to the Ocean skillfully swims upstream on self-titled album

Never heard of Drive to the Ocean? That’s because they’re new to the music scene. The group consists of Madison-based musicians, and their self-titled debut, Drive to the Ocean, shows off their unique sound. This is an album worth listening to if you’re trying to find more Madison bands.

The album opens with “Ordinary Brains,” which shows that the band is bringing something new to the table. The band describes its music as melodic rock, but I would describe their tracks as a head-bopping, shoe-tapping good time.

The introduction to “Accidents” grabs your attention as the band takes an a cappella-like approach, singing that “accidents will happen, anyway,” despite how careful people are. The song continues with a grooving vibe that almost helps you forgive yourself for your most recent mistakes.

“To Win You Over” slows down the album with its wishful lyric repetition of, “Oh me, oh my, oh me.” The song questions whether or not it could be the one to win a girl over, and because of the beautiful saxophone solo in the middle of it, I would say it is.

“Fight / Flight” did not give me the adrenaline rush I expected when I read the title, but instead the slow tempo and somber lyrics capture the intensity of a breakup. Next, “Foot Down” takes more of the foot-stomping approach with a focus on the off-beats rather than the more natural down-beat.

The catchy beat of “If I Was 25” brings the album up to tempo and the song is one of the high points of the album. “Same Space” continues to build the album up with the sweet melody and sincere lyrics.

The album finishes with “Two Runaways,” “Animal ESP” and “Sympatico” that dot the i’s and cross the t’s of the band’s new, signature sound.

Drive to the Ocean is new to the Madison music scene, with this only being their first album, but they definitely make a splash with Drive to the Ocean. If you’re looking to listen to the album and meet the band, Drive to the Ocean are hosting a release party Saturday at High Noon Saloon.

Grade: B+