orpheum

The Orpheum Theatre opened in 1927 as a movie theater and has gone through many operational changes since then. 

Orpheum Theatre to replace its iconic sign

Madison’s historic Orpheum Theatre will install a new sign, rooted in its original design, replacing an iconic feature of the downtown landscape.

The venue, located on the 200 block of State Street just steps away from the state Capitol, first opened in 1927 as a movie theater. Since its debut, the historic building has undergone many operational changes, including a transition to live performances.

Owner Gus Paras’ latest renovation project is focused on the enormous sign. The 50-foot sign hanging above the building’s entrance, dating back to the 1950s, was recently removed from its place over State Street.

Although a replacement sign is in the works, Dan Yoder, owner of Sign Art Studio and man responsible for recreating the sign, suggests most won’t recognize it.

“The original sign that we are using for our design was installed in 1927,” Yoder said. “It’s a completely different sign than what people have seen.”

The new version will be far more elaborate in design, and its estimated cost reaches nearly $200,000.

Yoder referenced old photos in order to redraw the original Orpheum sign.

“We went as far as even counting lightbulbs,” Yoder explained. “We hope it will be an identical match in terms of design.”

The style of the sign will feature scrollwork around the border and will be lit with exposed LED lightbulbs to match the original sign as closely as possible. The only difference between the new sign and the original will be in the construction, as the new model will use aluminum instead of steel.

The sign has an estimated four-month build process. “We hope to get the new sign up before heavy winter hits,” Yoder said. “However, the most important thing is to build it right, as we hope to see this sign up for at least the next 100 years.”