Jordan Canzeri

Jordan Canzeri ranks third in the Big Ten in rushing yards per game (116.17) and second in touchdowns (9).

Canzeri carries Iowa

One week after Iowa traveled to Camp Randall Stadium and upset the Badgers in a close game, they looked to solidify their position as one of the favorites to win the Big Ten West with a win over Illinois. 

Coming in as 10-point favorites, many expected Iowa to command the game from the start. However, Illinois battled hard, keeping the score within that 10 point range throughout the entirety of the game. If not for senior running back Jordan Canzeri, Iowa may not have been able to pull off a nine-point victory at home.

Seemingly, anytime Iowa was losing, or needed a big play to change the momentum of the game, Canzeri answered the call.

With eight minutes left in the second quarter, the Hawkeyes found themselves down 6-7, driving into Fighting Illini territory. On a second and 15 play from the 17 yard line, senior quarterback C.J. Beathard threw a screen pass to Canzeri, who made two defenders miss on his way to a touchdown to give Iowa the lead.

Similarly, late in the third quarter, with the Hawkeyes ahead by just three, Canzeri took the game into his own hands again. After taking an inside handoff, Canzeri countered to the right, running the ball untouched for 75 yards to the end zone. 

Canzeri continued to carry the team the rest of the game, ultimately accumulating an incredible 43 carries. He averaged six yards per carry, totaling 256 yards, the most for any running back in not only the Big Ten, but the entire country this week. Those yards plus his two touchdowns, one on the ground and one in the air, were all part of Canzeri’s outstanding effort.

In a close game, without the endurance and explosiveness of Canzeri, Iowa would have had a much tougher time pulling out their second Big Ten victory.