Bike path assault assailant

A bystander described the appearance of the person of interest, which Madison police detailed in a composite sketch.

MPD releases sketch of possible assailant in bike path assault

The Madison Police Department released a sketch of a person of interest in an attempted homicide that occurred on a bike path near South Livingston Street early Saturday morning.

The new developments include a composite sketch of an individual who police say attacked a 33-year-old female before fleeing the Capital City State Trail. The sketch was generated based on testimony from a bystander who saw the assailant nearby prior to the incident.

While previously reported as a sexual assault, MPD is currently investigating the incident as an attempted homicide.

“The person of interest is described as a Latino or light-skinned black male with brown eyes who appeared to be approximately 25 years old,” according to an MPD statement Tuesday

The person of interest is described as being 5 feet 7 inches tall and of average build, with prominent cheek bones, slightly sunken eyes and five to seven day patchy beard growth, according to the release.

“It is important to bear in mind that this is a person of interest at this time. It is but one of many leads that the department is investigating,” said police officer David Dexheimer. “We have dedicated considerable resources to this investigation and will continue to do so.”

MPD is urging people to come forward with any information that might be helpful to the investigation by calling 608-266-4451, a number dedicated to the case.