Dane County releases report to improve the criminal justice system, stresses importance of data collection

The Dane County Board of Supervisors unveiled a report Sept. 18 detailing recommendations to improve racial disparities and the treatment of mental health in the criminal justice system.

The board made its recommendations following summer workshops with community members, criminal justice stakeholders and county staff who discussed potential solutions to address these issues. The groups produced 31 recommendations that unite the themes of their suggestions.

The groups stressed the importance of increased data and research on the Dane County criminal justice system, particularly information centering on race, ethnicity and gender. The report lists such data as necessary in order for effective change.

“What isn’t measured isn’t managed. In a world that embraces data-driven decision making, it is simply not acceptable to lack this capacity in criminal justice,” said County Board Chair Sharon Corrigan in a Thursday statement. “We need to commit to collection of meaningful information, data analysis, and transparency of the results for a criminal justice system that spans local, county, and state government and numerous different data systems.”

The report also highlights the need for an understanding of implicit bias, racial equity and cultural competence for those who work within the criminal justice system. The workgroups noted system staff should further reflect the demographic makeup of those who use services in Dane County.

These suggestions require supplementary training to educate staff on these issues and increased hiring of individuals who reflect the population of Dane County, according to the report.

The Public Protection and Judiciary Committee will hear and look to act on the report’s recommendations during a meeting Monday.