Student group encourages future ASM collaboration

A statewide student advocacy association promoted the necessity of having further interaction with members of the Associated Students of Madison at a Coordinating Council meeting Wednesday.

The United Council for University of Wisconsin Students, an organization representing students at universities across Wisconsin, advocates for higher education ideals on a campus, state and nationwide level, according to its website.

United Council representative Niko Magallon highlighted the importance of a continued connection between the organization and ASM, detailing how combined efforts from both groups could promote more student involvement.

“There are a lot of people who want to get civically engaged right now,” Magallon said.

To improve the working relationship with ASM, Magallon also asked the Council to brainstorm their committees’ top goals moving forward.

Sustainability Committee Chair Kyla Kaplan discussed the importance of education surrounding the committee’s goals, explaining it could alleviate the disconnect between students’ interest and existing lack of knowledge on the topic.

University Affairs Chair John Paetsch said his committee would continue to work on making sure the quality of education will not suffer following the budget cuts, as well as maintaining programs students want to see, like the pending language certificate campaign.

ASM Chair Gen Carter also addressed Chancellor Rebecca Blank’s recent survey on campus climate, which all students received in an April 13 email.

Carter said the survey, which deals with incidents of sexual assault and harassment on campus, is an important opportunity for students to engage with these issues, and encouraged Council members to spread word of the survey.