Madison Bread Company is a great secret gem of Williamson Street

Madison Sourdough Company is a local bakery on Williamson Street, in a neighborhood just past the capital.

Up until two weeks ago, I was under the impression that Madison Sourdough was a one-stop shop for a nice loaf of bread.

Imagine my excitement when I made the glorious discovery that Madison Sourdough had an in-house café attached to their shop. And they offer brunch.

To start out, the café itself is adorable. The environment is European; tables are extremely close together, and an array of vintage baking utensils hang from the walls.

The artisan breads are on display for all patrons of the café to admire.

The bakery case is packed full of treats. The blueberry Danish is top notch and the ginger cookie is soft and chewy.

My brunch friend and I took the pastries and our coffees to the table and had them as a brunch hors d’oeuvre, because that’s a thing, while waiting for our meals to be prepared.

As for brunch, the shining stars were the biscuits and gravy, along with the breakfast sandwich.

The biscuits are freshly made and still warm. Madison Sourdough adds in some over-easy eggs to the biscuits and gravy platter. This was a twist on the usual dish, and I really enjoyed it.

I always hesitate to order biscuits and gravy; I worry the kitchen will over-ladle the gravy, leaving me with a pile of mush.

No worries, brunchers, this was not the case at Madison Sourdough.

There are just enough eggs and gravy to go along with the biscuits, which left me a very happy customer.

I have a theory that you can judge a brunch establishment by the quality of their breakfast sandwich.

If my theory is true, then Madison Sourdough passes with flying colors.

The breakfast sandwich is held together on a butter croissant. A bold move, given that butter croissants can fall apart very easily.

But the results: perfect. The eggs are perfectly cooked, just the slightest bit runny.

Then, of course, they throw on some melted cheese.

Madison Sourdough shakes it up a bit by slathering the croissant with aioli, which is a spiced mayonnaise.

Add your choice of ham or bacon, and you’re in business.

The breakfast sandwich is an instant classic at Madison Sourdough; I’m going to have a hard time ordering anything else.

Located on Williamson (“Willie”) Street, Madison Sourdough is a nice distance from campus.

With the warmer weather finally becoming more consistent, clear some time in your schedule and make it over to a less traveled part of our wonderful city.

These last five weeks of class are upon us, and they can be stressful, but I have every confidence that a trip to Madison Sourdough will have you sitting back and enjoying a stellar brunch, with no worries of what the rest of the day holds.