Creativity is dead in America

Creativity and originality are dying in American media. As of late, remakes, adaptations and spin-offs have taken center stage in movies, television and literature. It is becoming much more difficult for new independent projects to enter into media’s center stage. While this may not seem like an issue, this is going to have a tremendously adverse effect on storytelling in the long run. it was recently announced that a live action movie based on the children’s cartoon “Winnie the Pooh” is going to be made by Disney. It is too early to tell whether this film is going to be any good, but the fact that yet another children’s story is being adapted or rebooted is concerning.

Adaptations or remakes of previously told stories are everywhere in modern media. Half of the best picture nominations for the most recent Oscars were biopics, or movies based on someone’s life story. The incredibly popular television programs “Game of Thrones” and “Better Call Saul” are both based on previously created works. Even the incredibly popular “Fifty Shades of Grey” books and movies were originally based on a fan fiction of the “Twilight” series. Adaptations of previously created works are slowly taking over popular entertainment.

It will soon be difficult for an original story to get the attention it may deserve. No film studio or publishing company is going to green light a new independent property when it has been proven time and time again that adapting a previously made work will make them a ridiculous amount of money. Eventually this may force writers and other creative minds to stop trying to create original stories and simply attempt to put a new spin on a previous work. Creators will do this because it is becoming increasingly apparent that doing so is the easiest, most profitable, way to succeed in these industries.

I can think of nothing sadder than an entire generation of people that have given up on inventing new stories and characters to express their ideas. This is how we become the dystopian society that is so often rehashed in today’s media. People are both giving up on making new and interesting characters and actively choosing to put making money over making art. The recently announced Play-Doh movie exemplifies this. We cannot stop making original books and movies.

These are the things that define generations and inspire others to create their own unique work. No one remembers the 1970s for the adaptation of “The Great Gatsby.” What people remember from that era are all of the unique and original music compositions, literary works and films. The 1970s will be known for giving us “Star Wars” not only because it was an incredible work, but also because it contributed to cinema as a whole and pushed the industry forward.

The waning of new independent properties in media is a tremendous problem because it slows the cultural growth of an entire generation. In order to fix this problem, people must start releasing their own original works, but more than that, we all must appreciate other people’s original work. If anyone reading this has an idea for any kind of story, I encourage you to create it. It does not matter if few production companies take interest or if people tell you the story is no good. New stories are in short supply and are desperately needed. It does not seem likely that these remakes are going to stop being made any time soon, the only thing fans of quality stories can do is not view these rehashed works, discourage others from viewing them and create original, compelling creative works of their own.

What’s your take on creativity in America? Do you agree or disagree with Lucas? Do reboots and adaptations mean creativity is dying? We’d like to hear your take. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.