Chipotle vs. Qdoba: One spicy debate

It is a conflict greater than the Romans versus the Greeks, more hate-filled than the Montagues and the Capulets, more biologically defined than cats feuding with dogs. Scholars and scientists to this day cannot confidently answer the simple yet vital contest: Qdoba or Chipotle?

The two quick-serve, Mexican cuisine hot spots are similar in many ways, making the choice between the two tough and trying. Luckily for scholars and scientists, I can answer the question, through meticulous research, careful analysis and on-point taste buds. I’ve been a burrito expert for about four years now, gathering data and tasting for this pinnacle moment of my career. To reach the conclusion to the debate of the century, I compared and contrasted the two restaurants based on overall food, price and atmosphere. Let’s get cooking.

Food is the pinnacle deciding factor when comparing restaurant competitors. For this analysis, I am going off the printed menus. Apologies to the quesarito lovers and menu-hackers out there. Sharing similar menus, one point of difference is the simplicity of Chipotle’s options, offering burritos, tacos and salads while Qdoba provides these choices in addition to quesadillas, gumbo, nachos and taco salads. I myself enjoy a menu with a few more selections, but this factor is not as important as taste. Personally, Chipotle tastes fresher than Qdoba. Maybe it’s the fact the restaurant prides itself and regularly advertises its responsibly raised meat and ingredients, or that I simply appreciate seeing the employees chop up fresh vegetables right in front of me. Good for you, Chipotle.

However, Qdoba enthusiasts go to their graves swearing the deciding factor between the two grills is Qdoba’s queso. The hot and savory three-cheese sauce is so full of flavor and magical gooeyness that it overrides the fresh and responsible factor. I would eat twigs and leaves if you dipped them in Qdoba queso. Chipotle does offer margaritas and beer while Qdoba does not, and although I’ve never had the urge to order an alcoholic beverage off the same menu I can order a kiddie quesadilla, it’s nice to know I have the option. 

Next up is price. Ignoring tax, a Chipotle chicken burrito will cost you $6.50. If you splurge on guacamole you’ll have to dish out $8.45. Ignoring tax, a Qdoba burrito with free queso and guacamole rings up to $7.80. Free magical cheese goo and free guac? And did I mention Qdoba offers a free tortilla or bag of fresh chips to burrito bowl buyers? I could end the debate right here and now and haul my twigs and leaves to the nearest Qdoba. But the food fight rages on.

Clean, rustic and simplistic is how I describe both restaurant locations. Wood, bricks and metal exposed to the hungry customer say to me “Hey, we’re not over the top and we like it that way,” which I respect. When I’m stuffing my face with nachos, I could care less if the feng shui of that fake plant in the corner is totally off. The customer service is typical and nothing to write home about. A Qdoba employee once walked my forgotten wallet from the cash register counter over to my table, but other than that, nothing stands out in terms of sensational employee interactions. I’ve felt rushed more times than once at Chipotle, because sometimes you just need that extra five seconds to decide if you want to shell out almost two bucks for squished avocado, but I do appreciate the importance of fast service.

Chipotle is great when I need a hot and fresh meal on the fly that won’t make me unbutton my jeans post-consumption. Qdoba is the meal I bring home and dim the lights, put on a snuggie and melt into a savory burrito coma with. Although I commend Chipotle for its farm-raised food, freshness and lower prices, I have to give the win to Qdoba. More menu options, free add-ins and that enchanted queso provide the KO to defeat Chipotle. If Chipotle offered smothery cheese sauce as well, we might have a different story, but until then, Qdoba is king.

Which restaurant is your favorite? Did Kayla overlook anything in her assessments? Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.