Dolly Wang

Associated Students of Madison Diversity Committee Chair Dolly Wang updates members on the effects the proposed state budget could have for international students and diversity programs.

Proposed budget cuts present issues for diversity programs, international students

Gov. Scott Walker’s proposed budget could have dramatic effects for international students and jeopardize the future of diversity programs.

If UW-Madison falls under Public Authority status as a part of the budget, certain provisions would be under control by the Board of Regents and no longer backed by state law, Associated Students of Madison Diversity Committee Chair Dolly Wang said during a meeting Tuesday.

“There’s going to be no requirement for diversity programs on campus,” Wang said. “There used to be a requirement for retention and recruitment programs for students of minority.”

Starting next fall, residence halls will no longer have diversity squads, groups of students and staff that work with the Center for Cultural Enrichment to increase residents’ cultural knowledge.

“The cuts can have a very big impact on minority groups across campus, for sure,” said ASM Finance Committee Chair Madison Laning.

It is still unknown what direct effects the budget could have on the Diversity Framework, a campus-wide initiative introduced this fall, however, international students will face additional fees starting next fall, Wang said.

The International Student Services, a UW-Madison program that provides information to international students about campus life, will require an international student fee to all incoming freshmen, Wang said.

“Besides [the fees], they might pay more tuition compared to out-of-state students,” Wang said.

Students across campus could see less job outreach, as Laning said attracting companies to the university for job recruitment is difficult due to its poor diversity compared to other schools across the nation.

“We’re not preparing people to go out into the global world,” Laning said. “Companies are shying away from UW-Madison, and with these cuts, they could shy away more because we’re going to lose the diversity we do have right now.”

ASM created a new budget committee to encourage student involvement while the Joint Committee for Finance holds hearings surrounding the effects the budget could have on state agencies.