Madison police arrest three suspects in West Towne Mall, Russett Road shooting cases

In a press conference Friday, Madison police announced the arrests of three men suspected in relation to shots fired at West Towne Mall, according to Madison Police Department Sgt. Tim Radke.

While no injuries occurred during the shooting in the mall’s parking lot, MPD Sgt. Ann Lehner wrote last Sunday afternoon in an incident report that police were examining the incident’s possible link with an attempted homicide near Russett Road.

The West Towne Mall shooting occurred at 5:37 p.m. Saturday night, while the attempted homicide occurred at 10:30 p.m. on the 5800 block of Russett Road.

Two of the suspects, brothers Jacob and Jamal M. Greer, were arrested in direct relation to the West Towne Mall shooting incident, according to MPD Lt. Kelly Donahue.

The third suspect, Jeffrey E. Mitchell has been charged with six felonies, including first-degree intentional homicide, and one misdemeanor, according to Circuit Court documents filed Friday.

Mitchell confronted and shot an 18-year-old member of his own gang following the shots fired at West Towne Mall Saturday, according to a Wisconsin State Journal article. No one was injured in the West Towne Mall shooting.

The victim, who sustained multiple gunshot wounds, was considered stable when entering surgery at a local hospital, Lehner wrote in the report.

Jamal M. Greer, also known as Malik Greer, meanwhile has been charged with first-degree recklessly endangering safety, felony possession of a firearm and misdemeanor bail jumping.

The district attorney is prosecuting Mitchell and Jamal M. Greer, and a state public defender is representing both of them.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. March 12.