Defeating Boko Haram requires admitting previous failures

Our world is ravaged by multiple terrorist groups, and we desperately need to find some solutions to terminate these threats. I think to solve these tremendous problems, a careful approach with an equally tremendous effort is required. It is important to remember, however, to learn from failed efforts to stop terrorist groups. One such failure is the Nigerian government’s efforts to eliminate the troubles of the terrorist group Boko Haram.

It has been a globally infamous tale of what Boko Haram has done in Nigeria. Its terror is comparable to the deeds of ISIS or Taliban-—kidnapping school girls, suicide bombings and massacres of innocent people across the country. Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan stated his intent to use the nation’s military in an effort to suppress the group. However, the government has been troublingly ineffective.

The situation in Nigeria is simply devastating. Based on a report from The New York Times, the production of food across Nigeria has declined due to the Boko Haram’s threats that scare farmers from working in the fields. The lack of security provided by the government is now impoverishing the rural citizens of Nigeria even further. Additionally, the South African police announced two Nigerian citizens attempted to bring $9.3 million in cash into South Africa last September. The two Nigerians stated they planned to use the money to purchase weapons off the black market for Nigerian security services. While Nigeria’s spending on security enhancements has been increasing, the results are not very promising. The government has been rather slow in responding to the attacks of the Boko Haram. It took three weeks before the government released the official address to the nation in recognition of the kidnapped school girls from the town of Chibok.  

What is more surprising is the Nigerian government has been exercising violent tactics in its hunt for terrorists. According to the PBS Frontline reports from September, the Nigerian militants have been treating innocent people violently using the excuse they are eliminating Boko Haram. The Nigerian Army has been working on “Operation Flush,” hunting Boko Haram across the country and has even teamed up with local militias in search of the terrorist organization. The problem is, local militias were given too much power to seek out Boko Haram and have taken away male citizens under the guise they were members of Boko Haram. Many of these citizens have been treated violently, killed and accused of crimes without any sort of investigation. The militias and Nigerian Army have even developed their own kind of trade involving the exchange of prisoners and forcing families to pay ransoms for their loved ones.  

Boko Haram has also raided government prisons to liberate Nigerians (many of whom are in prison without a trial) and as a result, a number of those rescued have joined Boko Haram for fear of being caught by government forces again. The fear of returning to prison has proven to be an effective recruitment method for Boko Haram. 

President Goodluck Jonathan is currently campaigning for re-election with phrases such as “Terrorism is a global problem,” “Nigeria is not alone in dealing with it” and “Nigeria will triumph.” The president’s strategy seems to be shirking complete responsibility for Boko Haram.

The case of Boko Haram and the Nigerian government illustrates how not to handle terrorist organizations. Effective elimination of terrorist organizations requires a government to be carefully managed. The Nigerian government, by contrast, has been grooming the confusion with the poor, ineffective use of wealth and military force to catch the terrorists. Additionally, leaders of states should not be given too much power to control the process of eliminating terrorist groups, or else they may be inclined to abuse their power and use their military against their own citizens, just as President Goodluck Jonathan has done. With  money and an excuse to exercise abusive power, the Nigerian government is not dealing with Boko Haram responsibly.

In situations similar to Nigeria, we need to think and learn from failed responses to terrorism and the Nigerian government is acting first without thinking. Political theorist Hannah Arendt said, “Under conditions of tyranny it is far easier to act than to think.” Nigeria needs to stop acting before coming up with its next solution to abolishing Boko Haram.

Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.