Breaking down all four NCAA regions

MIDWEST

No. 1 Kentucky

John Calipari’s Wildcats are 34-0 and looking to become the first Division I team to finish undefeated since Bob Knight’s Indiana Hoosiers in 1976.

Willie Cauley-Stein and Karl-Anthony Towns anchor Kentucky’s seemingly impenetrable interior defense. The Wildcat defense surrenders just 54 points per game and averages 6.9 blocks. Kentucky is an overwhelming favorite to reach the Final Four, so we’ll just have to wait and see if anyone in the region can thwart its quest for immortality.

No. 2 Kansas

The Jayhawks won their 11th consecutive Big 12 regular season title, but enter the NCAA tournament with a few question marks.

Cliff Alexander remains unavailable due to an eligibility issue. Whether  Perry Ellis, returning from an MCL sprain, will be able to play at 100 percent might be the key to the Jayhawks’ success over the next weeks.

Besides that, in the Elite Eight, the Jayhawks would likely face a Kentucky team that obliterated Kansas back in November.

Dark Horse

In the last two years, Wichita State has been on both ends of Cinderella runs.

After making a run to the Final Four two years ago as a No. 9 seed and falling in the Round of 32 as an unbeaten No. 1 seed last March, the Shockers are back in the NCAA Tournament.

The Shockers could get a chance at in-state foe Kansas, a team that refuses to schedule them, and a run to the Elite Eight could potentially give them a shot at redemption against Kentucky, the team that ended their season a year ago.

Dream Matchup

Though Kentucky’s path to Indianapolis seems paved with certainty, an Elite Eight matchup with Notre Dame could give the Wildcats trouble.

The Irish offense ranks second in the country in Ken Pomeroy’s adjusted offensive efficiency rating and shoots 39.2 percent from 3-point range, which ranks 19th nationally. If Notre Dame gets hot from beyond the arc, it could neutralize Kentucky’s historically great interior defense.

Zach Rastall

EAST

No. 1 Villanova

The Wildcats come into March with only two losses and a fresh Big East Tournament crown. Led by senior guard Darrun Hilliard, the Wildcats have shown a near-perfect balance on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. 

Still, it must be noted that most of their wins have come against a weak Big East conference. Villanova will have a challenging path to win the East region as they will most likely have to go through dark horse North Carolina State, Louisville, and arguably the best No. 2 seed in the tournament, Virginia. 

No. 2 Virginia

The Cavaliers boast one of the best resumes in the nation with impressive wins over Notre Dame, North Carolina, Louisville and Maryland. 

Virginia has undoubtedly proven that they can take down the country’s best teams and now with the return of prolific junior guard Justin Anderson, the Cavaliers should be in good shape to win the East Region. With one of the nation’s best defenses and most efficient offenses, Virginia has the perfect blend to make a long run in the East and perhaps the entire tournament.

Dark Horse

Although NC State comes in as a No. 8 seed with 13 losses, the Wolfpack have beaten up on the big boys with wins over Duke, North Carolina and Louisville. This team is equipped with seasoned veterans Ralston Turner and Trevor Lacey, who have pulled the Wolfpack out of several losing streaks and down-to-the-wire finishes. With the ability to take down some of this year’s top dogs and overcome adversity multiple times this season, NC State may be this year’s team who wrecks every March Madness bracket. 

Dream Matchup

A potential Round of 32 matchup between Virginia and Michigan State may end up being the East Region’s best game. Michigan State has been truly underrated this season, losing close contests to elite teams like Duke, Kansas, Notre Dame and Wisconsin. 

The Spartans haven’t closed out games in the best manner. Virginia will now have a healthy Anderson back in its lineup, but a hungry Spartan squad with Denzel Valentine and  Travis Trice could be a lethal combination that ends the Cavaliers’ season early.

Matt Tragesser

SOUTH

No. 1 Duke 

The Blue Devils have proven they can win close games against great teams. Duke should handle San Diego State or St. John’s in the Round of 32. 

However, the Blue Devils could run into trouble against dynamic players like Georgetown’s D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera in the Sweet 16 or Gonzaga’s Kevin Pangos in the Elite Eight. If Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor play like they did against Wisconsin and UNC, it will be nearly impossible to stop them from reaching Indianapolis.  

No. 2 Gonzaga 

A perennial March Madness underdog, the Bulldogs have one of their best teams in recent years. They’ve lost just twice and nearly beat Arizona in overtime. They will most likely get Iowa in the Round of 32, a less than stellar Power Five conference team. 

The possible Iowa State matchup in the Sweet 16 favors the Cyclones, who played Top 25 teams all year. Either Pangos or Kyle Wiltjer could explode and put the Bulldogs on their backs, similar to how Shabazz Napier did for UConn a year ago. But it will be a tall task for Gonzaga to defeat a more tested team, like Iowa State or Duke. 

Dark Horse

Teams that win their conference tourneys generally fare well in the tournament and Southern Methodist had to defeat Temple and a UConn team battling for its season to win the American. The No. 11-seed Mustangs face UCLA in their opening game, a team that probably shouldn’t be in the tournament. 

Iowa State is a solid 3 seed, but it would be a clash between two hot teams With two wins under their belts, SMU could ride that momentum into potential matchups with Gonzaga and Duke.

Dream Matchup

Georgetown versus Gonzaga in the Elite Eight would be about as fun as it gets in college basketball. Not only would it mean that Duke suffered another early exit, but the matchup between Smith-Rivera and Pangos could be one for the ages. 

Both are two of the most exciting scorers in the country and would provide a back-and-forth display of raw offensive greatness. The shootout for a berth in the Final Four would be an absolute classic that would come down to one huge shot. 

Bobby Ehrlich

WEST

No. 1 Wisconsin

For the Badgers to make a deep run in the tournament, they must come out of the gates strong and play a full 40 minutes. At times this season, especially in the last few games, Wisconsin has looked sluggish and dug an early hole for itself, needing an impressive second-half comeback to defeat Michigan State in the Big Ten Championship. UW has been lucky to escape its early-game woes relatively unscathed, but Bo Ryan and company need to sort this out before they play the rest of the country’s elite. 

No. 2 Arizona

After clinching their first conference tourney championship since 2002 with a blowout victory against Oregon, Arizona has secured a No. 2 seed in the Big Dance. Sean Miller is a defensive-minded coach and this mindset has translated well, with the Wildcats allowing 58.6 points per game. With defensive standouts such as Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and T.J. McConnell, and freshman phenom Stanley Johnson on offense, the Wildcats will surely be a tough out in the tournament.

Dark Horse

BYU accumulated a 25-9 record in 2015 thanks to having the ninth most efficient offense in the nation, according to kenpom. Leading the BYU attack on offense is Tyler Haws, a well-rounded player who checks in as the third best scorer in the country with 21.9 points per game. Besides Haws, opponents must keep an eye on Kyle Collinsworth, as he has posted an astonishing six triple-doubles this year. BYU uses a “run and gun” offense that will keep pace with the nation’s most athletic teams. 

Dream Matchup

The most intriguing potential game in the 2015 West Region might be a rematch of one played in 2014: Wisconsin versus Arizona in the Elite Eight. Every college basketball fan remembers the pandemonium that followed this game a year ago, and the 2015 rendition of Wisconsin-Arizona would foster many of the same emotions. Just like last season, this matchup would feature star power and come down to the final minutes.

David Gwidt