Taylor-Paige Stewart

Giving up seven runs in a single inning, Taylor-Paige Stewart was going to need plenty of run support to dig UW out of the hole.

Badgers swept by Purdue in Big Ten opener

The Badgers (0-3 Big Ten, 13-16 overall) had a rough start to their opening Big Ten play as they were swept by the Purdue Boilermakers (3-0, 22-9) in all three games of their weekend series. Wisconsin struggled to hit the ball, recording only five total hits in series compared to the 21 from Purdue.

The Badgers had trouble against Purdue’s Lilly Fecho, a junior with a 1.16 ERA who pitched every inning except the last four against Wisconsin. UW were only able to tally one run in the three games as Fecho struck out 17 batters over the course of the weekend.

Wisconsin lost Friday’s opening game 9-0 in five innings, due to one disastrous inning. After three scoreless innings to open the game, Purdue poured in nine runs to take the untouchable lead. The Badgers committed one error and were only able to tally one hit in the game, recorded by freshman infielder Kelsey Jenkins.

UW was unable to rally any runs to get back in the game in the top of the next inning. Junior pitcher Taylor-Paige Stewart allowed five hits and seven runs while striking out seven batters in her 3.2 innings played. Freshman pitcher Annie Davis allowed one hit and two runs to end the game.

Saturday was a bit closer score-wise, but the Badgers still lost 4-1. Wisconsin was able to score its only run of the series in the first inning, but Purdue would score two in the bottom of the same inning and two more in the next.

The Badgers were outhit again by Purdue with sophomore Chloe Miller claiming Wisconsin’s single hit to the Boilermakers’ seven. Stewart pitched all six innings for UW, allowing seven hits and four runs while striking out four batters.

Wisconsin capped off the weekend sweep with a 6-0 loss Sunday. Purdue scored early and often with their six runs coming in the first three innings. Seniors Maria Van Abel, Megan Tancill and junior Katie Christner would record the Badgers three hits as the Boilermakers tallied eight.

No errors were committed by either team in the matchup. Freshman Mariah Watts pitched all six innings, allowing eight hits and six runs while striking out eight batters.

Watts had previously been improving her ERA, but the Boilermakers took a toll going from a respectable 2.64 ERA to a 3.19 by the end of the weekend.

The Badgers will head to Evanston, Ill. this Friday to face the Northwestern Wildcats in search of their first conference victory as they continue Big Ten play.