Frank Kaminsky

It was another good night to be a Frank Kaminsky Wooden campaign supporter, as he showcased the passing and defense that arguably sets him apart from the rest of the nation's centers.

Badgers clinch outright Big Ten title

They say it gets lonely at the top, which means the Badgers are about to enjoy some solitude thanks to a strong, clinching win in their rival’s own house.

No. 6 Wisconsin (15-2 Big Ten, 27-3 overall) clinched an outright Big Ten title with a 76-63 win at Minnesota (6-11, 17-13), led by yet another Wooden-worthy night from Frank Kaminsky. The senior center finished with 25 points on 10-of-15 shooting, six rebounds and a career-high seven assists.

Although the final margin of 13 points makes the game sound like it wasn’t close, Minnesota’s quick pace of play and raucous home crowd made the end of the first half and entire second half feel like the game was always a couple Gopher-friendly minutes from getting out of hand.

Wisconsin at least opened the game like it was ready to blow the doors off their rival, drop the mic and walk out. The Badgers led 36-16 after 13 minutes of play, with Kaminsky and junior forward Sam Dekker combining for 25 points.

Dekker finished with a strong line of 20 points and six rebounds and served as Kaminsky’s go-to secondary option, scoring three baskets and receiving many more opportunities thanks to the big man’s passing skills.

Minnesota at least made it a game by going on an a 11-2 run to reach striking distance, but it always seemed like the Badgers had one more trick up their sleeves to find an easy basket. The closest the Gophers ever reached was a six-point margin with 17 minutes remaining, but that was immediately met by a combined five straight points from Kaminsky and Dekker.

Soon enough, the game was out of reach and the cruel chants of “NIT” rang out in the Barn from the Grateful Red who were able to make the trip.

That has seemed to be the Badgers’ MO for the last several games: rack up a huge lead, then hang on for life as their opponent attempts a steady comeback and hope the starters each have a few more minutes in them.

For the seventh straight game, every UW starter played more than 30 minutes. Kaminsky also played all 40 minutes of the game. As senior guard Traevon Jackson’s return is further delayed, it’s becoming increasingly harder to see this team having an easy time in the Big Ten Tournament, where they’ll have to play three straight games against increasingly harder opponents. March Madness might allow more rest, but there’s no question that depth is this team’s Achilles' heel.