Grad Students

UW-Madison Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration Darrell Bazzell responds to grad students' tuition questions.

UW-Madison graduate students updated on proposed budget cuts effects

UW-Madison Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration Darrell Bazzell talked to graduate students Tuesday about Gov. Scott Walker’s proposed budget cuts to the UW System.

Bazzell emphasized UW-Madison’s continuing efforts to fight the cuts, but conceded that some cuts are inevitable.

“We are preparing for significant budget cuts,” Bazzell said. “The student experience will undoubtedly be impacted.”

The proposed reductions amount to $150 million fewer per year for the UW System. UW-Madison calculated it will face a significant financial burden as a result.

Bazzell repeated prior comments UW-Madison Chancellor Blank made saying that even if multiple graduate schools were cut, the target reduction would still not be met. Therefore, Bazzell discussed the school’s other options.

“Part of the equation here is not simply about cutting,” Bazzell said. “The chancellor is very interested in trying to find ways to generate new revenue.”

Bazzell discussed numerous ways to raise funds. He said Blank discussed options such as increasing tuition for professional school students and non-resident undergraduate students.

After Bazzell’s address, the event was opened for graduate students to voice their questions and concerns.

“I think what makes it a specific graduate student issue is that we are probably the only people on campus that will be hit twice,” Kathryn Anne Edwards, a graduate student in the Department of Economics, said. “We do have to pay tuition, and we are also employees.”

Graduate students raised many concerns about the budget proposal, including faculty retention, strategic messaging and budgeting alternatives. Many questioned why the school wanted public authority status, and others were worried about the lack of accountability for the Board of Regents under the public authority status.

Bazzell responded that the flexibility that comes with public authority status would provide benefits for the university. However, he stressed this did not make up for the cuts.

“This idea that the System is interested in trading off cuts for becoming a public authority is really a false conversation,” Bazzell said.

No matter what steps UW-Madison takes next, both students and faculty agreed that getting the message out is key. Bazzell said the university has been working with alumni, professors, community leaders and others to get the word out about the cuts.

“We need to show the value of our work to Wisconsin,” Bazzell said. “Decades of investment are at stake.”

Chancellor Blank had been scheduled to speak, but was too sick to attend.