State Democrats criticize Gov. Walker ahead of budget address

Dane County lawmakers rebuked many of Gov. Scott Walker’s economic policies Monday in advance of his budget address Tuesday night.

State Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, and state Sens. Fred Risser, D-Madison, and Mark Miller, D-Monona, strongly condemned many of Walker’s recent policy measures, most notably a proposed $300 million cut to the UW System’s funding.

“The UW System is one of the jewels of the state and it helps to drive our economic engine,” Taylor said. “Governor Walker’s cuts hamper its ability to lead as a public institution.”

Despite this, Taylor, a member of the state’s Joint Finance Committee, believes there is enough bipartisan support to soften the proposed cuts.

“We’re going to do everything we can to get that number down,” Taylor said. “Republicans understand this is bad economics and bad for the state.”

Risser said that, by proposing short-term budget measures, Walker was “kicking the can down the road.”

“The governor has instituted some irresponsible, reactionary tax cuts,” he said. “This may play well to a national audience but this is not the Wisconsin way. And he’s going to pay for this by going after the UW System.”

Miller highlighted several ideas that Democrats will promote to balance the budget, emphasizing the need to raise the minimum wage, accept federal funds to bolster BadgerCare Plus and help college students refinance student loan debt.

“The governor has demagogued teachers, unions, poor people and now the University in pursuit of his personal ambitions,” he said. “Wisconsin is a demonstration of what not to do. Let’s put Wisconsin back on the bus.”