Man charged in string of power tool burglaries

Following a string of power tool burglaries beginning in early January, police officers arrested 29-year-old Chadwick A. Coffey and officially charged him in three other burglaries on Madison’s north side Tuesday.

“Recovered so far in this investigation are a number of high priced power tools including Mac and Snap-on brand tools,” Officer David Dexheimer wrote in an update to the original incident report this Tuesday. He further mentioned the possibility that many of these stolen tools are the results of unreported crimes.

The stolen power tools were later matched to those sold at a local pawn shop. Employees at the shop provided information to Madison Police Department, which led to Coffey’s arrest, according to Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain’s original incident report from Feb. 9.

Coffey, upon his arrest, said he purchased the tools from a man at a bar and admitted to being a heroin user, DeSpain’s report also mentioned.

MPD detectives are currently investigating related incidents, and according to the MPD report, they believe Coffey may be tied to more thefts in the area, including those from garages, cars and work sites.