Genevieve Carter

Genevieve Carter says students will have a good opportunity to ask questions to Chancellor Rebecca Blank during the student forums. 

Coordinating Council seeks student interaction surrounding UW System budget cuts

The Associated Students of Madison Coordinating Council reviewed the biennial budget developments and brainstormed ideas to encourage student activism against the proposal.

Budget discussion began with updates from Legislative Affairs Committee Chair Tom Gierok, who shared the importance of ASM involvement in further budget talks.

Gierok explained how ASM can best facilitate outreach, detailing several upcoming efforts including lobbying, writing op-eds and setting up meetings to initiate student organization.

ASM is also working to compile information on the exact effects the budget would have on specific schools and departments, ASM Chair Genevieve Carter said.

Also in attendance was Student Council Graduate Representative Sean Owczarek, who described his recent work with the Teaching Assistants’ Association to make information on the budget more “digestible.”

Owczarek inquired about how quickly ASM outreach to events like letter writing campaigns could be generated and put into practice.

Gierok also advocated for a timely response from ASM.

“We have to keep the momentum going on campus,” Gierok said. “And by waiting to talk, I think we’re going to lose momentum.”

The council also discussed upcoming student information forums held by UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank.

In addition to scheduling forums for staff and faculty, Blank confirmed there will be two student-driven information and question sessions regarding the budget, Carter said.

Carter asked for the Council’s input on both what they would like to see discussed during the forums and ways to best convey student questions.

“I do think it would be a good opportunity to ask very direct questions about what the impacts would be,” Carter said.

Council members suggested an anonymous method for students to raise questions and expressed interest in hearing more about tuition cuts, as well as what the UW System’s public authority status would mean.