Bill Rudy

The Double U bar owner Bill Rudy said safety will be a top priority in renovating the old University Avenue lounge.

City approves Double U liquor license

The Alcohol License Review Committee granted The Double U, a new sports bar on the 600-block of University Avenue, its requested liquor license during a meeting Wednesday night.

The committee voted to give The Double U a Class B license, allowing the bar to also serve food through bar time.

The Double U is moving to 620 University Ave., a spot formerly occupied by Johnny O’s Sports Lounge. The spot’s new owners, the Rudy family, re-affirmed their focus on safety as they renovate the old University Avenue lounge.

“We’re making a substantial investment into the interior of this place,” owner Bill Rudy said.

He and Rudy family attorney Rick Petri outlined a set of coming renovations that included larger windows and open areas, easing congestion and giving passing police a better view of the bar.

The committee also discussed the bar’s rooftop access. The rooftop would always be under surveillance, according to Petri.

“I know the police have had concerns about the rooftop,” Petri said. “I can assure you that, if there’s no staff available for the rooftop, no customer will be allowed on the rooftop.”

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the new ownership’s commitment to safety is a welcome change.

“There have been … challenges over the years with Johnny O’s,” Verveer said. “You can just look at our prosecution record—the number of times that that establishment has been before the committee.”

However, Verveer, who represents The Double U’s district, closed his statement with a vote of confidence.

“I believe that the new establishment will be a great addition to the campus area,” Verveer said.

Bill Rudy, who also owns Chasers Bar and Grille, said he thinks he’ll have no problem with the new location.

“I’ve worked so hard for six years,” Rudy said. “I have no reason to not run a good business.”