Nicole Bauman

Saturday's game will be the last at the Kohl Center for Nicole Bauman and the other Badger seniors. 

Press Conference: UW looks to get past injuries, losses

Overcoming challenges was the key theme among three Badger head coaches at Monday’s press conference. The men’s basketball team has had to deal with multiple injuries this season, but look to overcome them.

For men’s hockey and women’s basketball, wins have been hard to come by. With only two wins and seven wins, respectively, these two teams are looking to turn things around in their upcoming games.

Men’s basketball

The Badgers (6-1 Big Ten, 18-2 overall) are headed to Iowa to take on the Hawkeyes for the second time within 11 days. Coming off an intense overtime victory over Michigan, the Badgers look to use that momentum heading into this Saturday’s game.

The Badgers defeated Iowa in their last meeting by a wide margin and played an incredibly efficient game. However, playing teams a second time is not always the same or as simple according to head coach Bo Ryan.

“I don’t think I would use the term ‘easier’ but they’re more familiar and they have to execute,” Ryan said about playing the Hawkeyes again. “What’s the most important is what your team is doing to get ready.”

Wisconsin has also been dealing with injuries this season, previously with Traevon Jackson and Frank Kaminsky and most recently with Sam Dekker. Dekker had his hand cut in the game against Michigan, and glue was used to seal the wound. Ryan made a light-hearted reference to the New England Patriots and the deflated football controversy when discussing Dekker’s hand injury.

“Is that like under-inflated balls, they’re easier to catch if you have stick-um or glue?” Ryan joked.

While the focus has been on Bronson Koenig in light of Jackson’s injury, other players have had to step up and maintain consistent play. Ryan cited Josh Gasser as one of those players who has continued his reliability, praising his defense in particular. Even with the injuries, the Badgers look to keep up their winning this Saturday as they take on Iowa.

Men’s hockey

Wisconsin (0-5-1 Big Ten, 2-15-3 overall) has been struggling all season long, and Michigan proved to be another tough bout for the Badgers this past Friday and Saturday. Trailing 4-1 in Friday’s game, the Wolverines proceeded to score six straight goals to win 7-4, then scored another six goals Saturday in a 6-0 shutout.

Heading into this weekend’s series against Minnesota, the Badgers will be playing the Gophers for the second time this season. The last time these two teams met they split the series, with the Badgers winning the first game in a shootout and losing the second.

“It’s going to be a competitive series, always is,” said head coach Mike Eaves. “Doesn’t matter where we are in the standings. It’s always competitive, hard fought, and it will be much the same this weekend.”

The Badgers are looking for some consistency that has not been there this season as they take on the Gophers. Consistent wins would be a great start for the Badgers.

“Having a win against a rival would do great things for our confidence,” Eaves said. “More confidence, more consistency, and more wins would do wonders for the team.”

Women’s basketball

Wisconsin (3-6 Big Ten, 7-12 overall) has lost its last three games against Big Ten opponents. Having the top three most improved scorers in the conference in Nicole Bauman, Tessa Cichy and Dakota Whyte, the Badgers look to bounce back from this streak with a victory against the Ohio State Buckeyes this Thursday.

“Unfortunately we are not seeing the results in the win column, but I am pleased with the progress that we have made in the areas that have troubled us throughout the course of the season,” said head coach Bobbie Kelsey.

The Badgers have struggled offensively in the post with Michala Johnson out. Kelsey is confident that Cassie Rochel and Malayna Johnson are more than capable of stepping up, and believes these players need to shoot more frequently. With the number of turnovers down and scoring up, the Badgers look to keep improving as they head into Thursday’s game ready for a win.