Nonpartisan fiscal office anticipates million dollar budget shortfall

The Legislative Fiscal Bureau projected a $283.4 million budget deficit for the 2014-’15 fiscal year as part of their annual budget report Friday.

The LFB, the state’s nonpartisan fiscal office, released their projection as Gov. Scott Walker prepares his biennial budget proposal for release in February. The $283 million projected budget shortfall is more than double a previous budget deficit estimate of $132.1 million by the Department of Administration, whose chief administrator is a Walker appointee.

“Today’s memo by the non-partisan LFB reveals the failed Walker policies of unfunded tax giveaways to the rich and corporations created a fiscal crisis for our state,” state Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, the ranking Democratic member of the state budget committee, said in a press release. “We need the Republican leaders in this state to abandon Walker’s harmful agenda and focus on restoring economic opportunities for hard-working Wisconsin families.”

State Sen. Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, and state Rep. John Nygren, D-Marinette, of the Legislature’s budget committee said in a Friday statement they had faith in Republican policies.

“We are confident Governor Walker will resolve the short-term revenue shortfall,” the representatives said in the release. “There is no doubt Wisconsin’s economic outlook is bright. We look forward to working with Governor Walker to continue protecting taxpayers and moving our state forward.”

Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, held Republicans accountable in a press release. “While Republicans concentrate on amassing a surplus of political control, the real people of Wisconsin are facing a painful budget and jobs deficit.”