Keep new semester resolutions by finding social and academic balance

By Chace Goff

The Daily Cardinal

Welcome back, fellow Badgers! Hopefully you got some well needed/deserved R&R this holiday break and are ready to conquer the semester ahead; I know I am.

However, this seems to be everyone’s attitude until the semester really embarks.

It will be tough distancing myself from Netflix considering I’ve developed a bit of a personal attachment to Gossip Girl, but as the saying goes: where there’s a will, there’s a way (insert crying emoji here).

As an interior design student, I’m eager to be able to take more design classes and get further and further away from those oh-so-dreaded Gen Eds.

Honestly, when will I ever have to know the difference between the mechanical and compositional properties of the Earth? But this seems to be a common question.

But as much as we complain about them, the only way to be rid of them is to buckle down and ace ‘em! — or at least pass, since the standard always seems to diminish as the semester progresses.

While everyone wants to have that “new year, new me” attitude, I know better than anyone that old habits die hard.

However, the best thing to do is to focus on what’s next and what can be next, rather than looking to the past.

Nevertheless, if last semester you didn’t do as well academically as you’d hoped, or maybe didn’t get involved on campus when you wish you did, or even if you wanted to live a healthier lifestyle, I challenge you to put yourself out there and make a plan.

And not the kind of plans that you have with an old high school friend to “catch up” but never actually plan on doing, but rather, a legitimate plan with a set course of action and attainable goals.

Whether you create a whole PowerPoint presentation complete with pie charts and SmartArt graphics or just a simple list in the back of your notebook, thinking logically about what you need to do to reach your goal is the first step.

Everyone knows that the best way to truly accomplish something is to plan it out and put in the required effort.

While many of us have learned this academically, I challenge you all to use the same mindset in your social and personal lives.

While we’re here to learn and gain one of the best educations this world can offer, it has to come with balance.

With all that being said, good luck this semester, Badgers! Here’s to following through on resolutions and living up to the best four years of our lives.