Scott Walker

Gov. Scott Walker will propose a budget to the state Legislature Feb. 3 for its eventual approval. 

Gov. Scott Walker teases upcoming state budget proposal

Gov. Scott Walker announced his Workforce Readiness Plan at various stops around the state Thursday. The plan shows a major glimpse of his state budget, which the governor will unveil Feb. 3.

Much of Walker's plan includes helping people move from "government dependence to independence," according to Walker.

The plan would require drug testing of those who apply for or are already receiving benefits from programs such as unemployment insurance and FoodShare.

"Once we identify a problem, we can help," Walker said in his weekly radio address Thursday. "Those who fail a drug test will be offered the opportunity to get treatment, free of charge, as well as job training."

State Sen. Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, and state Rep. John Nygren, R-Marinette, co-chairs of the Joint Committee on Finance, praised Walker's plan, saying in a statement Thursday Walker's plan "is a great step in making sure Wisconsin workers have the training they need to succeed in our state's workforce."

In addition to the drug test requirement, Walker's plan seeks to change teacher licensing standards.

The plan hopes to create "alternative pathways to allow a candidate with real life experience to pass a competency test to gain a teacher license,” according to a press release from Walker’s office.

The Wisconsin Education Association Council criticized the potential requirement changes, claiming the change lowers standards and will not bring better teachers to Wisconsin schools.

"The suggestion that anybody can walk into a classroom and effectively teach is disrespectful to generations of highly qualified Wisconsin teachers and is a slap in the face of the profession," said WEAC President Betsy Kippers. "Would we do the same for our doctors, dentists, psychologists or lawyers?" 

Walker’s budget proposal will also call for a a technical college tuition freeze and initiatives to increase veteran employment and encourage start-up companies.

Though only part of the biennial budget, Walker said the goal of the Workforce Readiness Plan is to create jobs and help people succeed in them.