Gov. Scott Walker

Gov. Scott Walker released a statement Tuesday that voiced concerns about new environmental regulations.

Walker opposes EPA regulation

Gov. Scott Walker is in opposition to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan, according to a Monday statement. The plan outlines new regulations on power plants in an effort to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

Walker’s main concerns with the legislation are economic, and he contended “the EPA’s Clean Power Plan would be a blow to Wisconsin’s residents and business owners.” The bill could cost the state between $3.3 billion and $13.4 billion, according to the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin.  

The reforms would not only affect those employed by the power plants, but state residents at large, as the price of electricity would increase if the bill were to be enacted, according to Walker.

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi criticized Walker’s decision to oppose the bill, emphasizing the necessity of fighting climate change through legislation such as the Clean Power Plan.  

Though Wisconsin has spent $10.4 billion over the past 15 years to help combat carbon dioxide emissions and promote renewable energy, Parisi said compliance with the EPA’s new regulations is the best course of action in order to keep Wisconsin moving in the right direction.  

The push and pull between environmental and budgetary concerns mirrors a previous debate sparked by the hybrid and electric vehicle registration fee. Continued debate of this nature should be a theme to look out for as the 2014-’15 legislative session goes on, with climate change legislation moving to the forefront of the nation’s political stage.