Volleyball trophy

Volleyball: Badgers clinch Big Ten in 19th straight win

The No. 2 Wisconsin Badgers (19-1 Big Ten, 28-2 overall) clinched the Big Ten Championship title after defeating the no. 19 Purdue Boilermakers (12-8, 22-10) in three sets Friday night at the UW Field House.

In Friday night’s match, the Badgers honored their seven seniors in front of a sellout crowd to claim the Big Ten title with their 19-1 conference record, as well as breaking the school’s winning record with 19 consecutive wins. The Badgers have not earned the title since 2001.

The Badgers defeated the Boilermakers in three sets: 25-18, 25-19, 25-15. Wisconsin’s offense was led by senior outside hitter Courtney Thomas with 12 kills and 10 digs throughout the match. This was Thomas’ eighth double-double of the season.

Freshman outside hitter Kelli Bates added to the Badgers’ success with 10 kills and 14 digs earning her fourth double-double of the year.

Wisconsin head coach Kelly Sheffield praised his seniors for the work they have put in this season.

“Changing of roles and being leaders, being willing to make sacrifices, they have done an awful lot and they have grown and awful lot throughout their careers, and certainly in time than I’m here, I’m just really proud of them,” Sheffield said.

Although falling in three, Purdue fought hard. The Boilermakers’ junior outside hitter Annie Drews contributed 16 kills throughout the match. Junior defensive specialist Amanda Neill and freshman setter Ashley Evans tied with 13 digs each throughout the match for the Boilermakers. This match concluded conference play for the Badgers. Wisconsin’s season will continue in the postseason tournament.

The Badgers continue on in the NCAA tournament seeded in the top four along with Stanford, Texas and Washington. In 2013, the Badgers made it to the championship game and lost to fellow Big Ten competitor Penn State in four sets.

The first round of tournament play begins December 5 in the Field House against Western Michigan, with a rematch against Penn State looming in the Louisville regional.

UWBadgers.com contributed to this report.