Men's Basketball: Blue Devils’ starters feature stud freshmen and revitalized veterans

Duke always seems to have an impressive crop of players in its starting lineup. This season is no different. Here’s a rundown of their five starters.

Jahlil Okafor

Okafor, one of the most highly sought after high school recruits in recent memory, has lived up to the lofty expectations placed on him so far this season.

The freshman center has been stellar through seven games, averaging 17.7 points and 7.9 rebounds per game and leads the team with 11 blocks. He went 25-30 from the floor in his first three games and has scored more than 20 points in each of Duke’s last two contests.

At 6-foot-11, 270 pounds, Okafor is an imposing figure in the post and has been praised by many for his outstanding footwork and body control for a player his size. The Chicago native is essentially a lock to be a lottery pick in next year’s NBA draft, but in the meantime, he’ll be the centerpiece of Mike Krzyzewski’s team as the Blue Devils look to reach the Final Four for the first time since they won the national title in 2010.

Tyus Jones

The second of Duke’s three starting freshmen, guard Tyus Jones committed to the Blue Devils as part of a package along with Okafor. Jones is heralded for his solid all-around game, excellent court awareness and high basketball IQ. His passing prowess and ability to run an effective half-court offense are also areas of strength for Jones.

He currently leads the team in assists (42) and steals (12), and is also averaging 8.9 points per game. He recorded his first career double-double last Sunday against Army, finishing with 16 points and 10 assists. While Jones is only shooting 31.8 percent from 3-point distance so far, he was a solid shooter from beyond the arc throughout his high school career.

Justise Winslow

Winslow, a 6-foot-7 small forward, rounds out the Blue Devils’ trio of impressive freshman starters. Krzyzewski has compared the Houston native’s aggressive and athletic playing style to those of former Duke greats Grant Hill and Tommy Amaker.

Winslow is off to an excellent start to his collegiate career, averaging 13 points, 4.6 rebounds, two assists and one steal per game. While there is room for improvement on offense, especially in his long-range shooting, Winslow’s intangibles make him more than capable of living up to his coach’s high praise.

Quinn Cook

Cook, a guard from Washington, D.C., is the lone scholarship senior on the Duke roster and brings a veteran presence to the team’s backcourt. One of just nine players in school history to amass 500 assists, Cook led the Blue Devils in assists (153) and steals (47) last season.

This year, he’s averaging 15.6 points and four assists per game, shooting 50 percent from the field and 42.9 percent from beyond the arc. He’s a proven playmaker with solid court vision and awareness, and has recorded 28 assists and 11 steals compared to just six turnovers through Duke’s first seven games.

Amile Jefferson

Junior forward Amile Jefferson, who rounds out the Blue Devils’ starting rotation, has steadily improved during his time in Durham. He’s a superb rebounder who is praised for his great hands, and has posted a team-high 62 rebounds thus far.

On offense, Jefferson is noted for his unselfishness and willingness to wait for the open shot. He’s currently averaging 9.3 points per game and boasts a 68.4 percent field-goal percentage. While his interior defense has often been cited as an area of weakness due in part to his slender, 6-foot-9, 215-pound frame, that issue has been mitigated to some extent thanks to the addition of Okafor.