Ferguson protesters return to county meeting, demand criminal justice reforms

Members of the Young, Gifted and Black coalition, joined by community members and students, held a rally and sit-in on a county meeting Tuesday to campaign for changes to Madison’s criminal justice system.

The protesters fulfilled a promise to return to the Dane County Public Protection and Judiciary Committee after they first appeared at the body’s last meeting following the Missouri grand jury decision not to indict the police officer who shot Michael Brown.

Protesters met outside Madison City Hall to demand that the committee reconsider a proposed $8 million study that will go toward the creation of a new jail. Members of the Young, Gifted and Black Coalition addressed the crowd outside during the rally to outline the group’s demands and the goal of the rally.

“We are here to show the city of Madison that we are serious about our demand, and we will not go quietly into the night,” said protester Brandi Grayson.

The protesters repeatedly chanted “no justice, no peace” and “all power to the people,” as they made their way inside to make their demands to the council members. They addressed the committee during the sit-in.

“We are here to demand that the $8 million proposed for the jail study be taken off the table and redirected to resources and initiatives led by the black community,” Grayson said.

Other speakers called for the immediate release of people incarcerated for crimes of poverty and an end to solitary confinement.

Organizers said the group plans to continue to attend committee meetings until their demands are met.