UWPD sees several underage drinking citations, detox admissions over Freakfest weekend

The UW-Madison Police Department reported several cases of extreme intoxication during Halloween weekend.

UWPD issued 29 citations for underage alcohol consumption or possession, and police transported 13 students to detoxification facilities.

Due to the Tellurian Detoxification Center reaching capacity early Saturday evening, police also took some students to other area hospitals.

A 19-year-old student had a preliminary blood alcohol content of .32, according to the police report. UWPD found him stumbling inside Gordon Commons after running into a closed door Sunday shortly after midnight.

The student reportedly displayed slurred speech, bloodshot eyes and presented three different answers when asked for his birthdate. Police then took him to detox and issued a citation.

The cost of detox can vary, but is typically around $530 and often not covered by insurance. The fine for underage possession or consumption of alcohol is $263.50.

While UWPD did not officially partner with the Madison Police Department, the MPD will release their arrest and citation numbers Wednesday.