Zach Wood

UW-Madison senior Zach Wood said he is running for alder to bring a student perspective to city politics.

UW-Madison student kicks off campaign to represent Madison's eighth district

UW-Madison senior Zach Wood declared Wednesday he is running for the open District 8 aldermanic position in an effort to bring a student perspective to city politics.

Resnick is running as a mayoral candidate against incumbent Mayor Paul Soglin and has said he will not seek re-election as an alder.

Wood is studying political science for a certificate in educational policy studies and comes from a background in politics, having worked on Resnick’s re-election campaign.

“I’m running for the district because I’m a very proud third-generation Badger," Wood said. “Madison is very close to my heart, especially the campus area.”

Madison’s eighth district encompasses most of the UW-Madison campus, running west to east from the UW Natatorium to North Frances Street and north to south from the shore of Lake Mendota to Regent Street.

He also worked with the Democratic Party of Wisconsin and College Democrats of Wisconsin and co-founded a nonprofit organization working with students to increase the level of civic engagement and help young people really feel like they have a voice that matters.

Wood said he hopes to advocate for students at the city level, using both his political and student experience.

“As a student who just put a rent check in the mail this morning, I understand the need for affordable housing. As someone who walks the streets at night, I understand the need for a safer, well-lit campus,” Wood said. “I have an understanding of that balance between being a resident, being a student and also understanding how the city works.”

Public safety, affordable housing and environmental issues are among his top priorities. Wood said he appreciates how Resnick brings other parties into discussion and thinks his own experience as a current student gives him a good understanding of student issues.

Wood supports similar issues as Resnick, including implementing police cameras, increasing transparency about security deposit charges and continuing progress on homeless issues.

He said that as future leaders and entrepreneurs, students need to be heard.

“This campaign is about empowering young people to take action in their community,” Wood said.

Wood is the only declared candidate for District 8 at this time.