Men's Soccer: Badgers tie No. 2 Indiana for Senior Night

Wisconsin has played best at home all season, and on an emotional Senior Night at the McClimon Complex, they didn’t disappoint, registering a tie against an elite opponent.

The night started with the recognition of seniors Jacob Brindle and David Caban, both four-year players for the Badgers. After the ceremony, Wisconsin kicked off what would be one of their best games this year.

The Badgers squared off against a highly touted Indiana team, ranked second in the nation, whose only losses and ties have come against Top 25 teams. Wisconsin was winless in the Big Ten this year (0-6-0 coming into the game), but fought hard to earn a point against the Hoosiers.

Their first good opportunity came when freshman forward Mark Segbers stole the ball in Indiana’s back third in the 30th minute, but his shot sailed just wide. Though the Hoosiers dominated possession in the first half, Wisconsin’s quick-strike offense struck gold when forward Tom Barlow broke through the defense and was fouled in the box, earning a penalty kick. Drew Conner converted in the 37th minute to take a 1-0 lead.

The Badger defense held strong until the waning seconds of the first half, when Indiana junior midfielder Matt Foldesy’s header found the back of the net with just nine seconds left on the clock. The teams went into halftime locked at 1-1, still anyone’s game.

Hoosier sophomore midfielder Tanner Thompson earned a free kick early in the second half, but his shot was saved beautifully by freshman goalkeeper Casey Beyers, whose four saves played a huge role in avoiding a loss. Thompson would get his revenge just ten minutes later, however, knifing through the Badger defense to bury a shot in the right upper 90. Indiana took a 2-1 lead, and it looked like they would hold that score until the end.

Senior captain Jacob Brindle changed that. In the 72nd minute, junior defenseman Adam Lauko sent a beautiful cross into the box, where Brindle redirected it past sophomore goaltender Colin Webb to tie the game at 2-2. That score would hold through two hotly contested overtime periods, and the Badgers pulled off an unlikely tie.

The tie marked Wisconsin’s first point in Big Ten Conference play, as they became the third team all season to score multiple goals against Indiana. It also ended the Hoosiers’ six-game road winning streak.

On Wednesday, the Badgers will travel to Evanston to take on No. 20 Northwestern in their final game before the Big Ten Tournament.