Men's Hockey: Badgers return to action against North Dakota

When the Badgers first looked over their schedule for the year, one series caught their attention right away: their rematch against rival North Dakota.

“It’s a [chance at] redemption for us,” said senior forward Joseph LaBate. “We’re pretty excited to play them.”

Of course, Wisconsin will face nearly the same North Dakota team that knocked it out of the NCAA tournament in the regional round in March, despite the No. 1-seeded Badgers being heavily favored to make a strong tournament run.

Though UND stayed the same, losing only four seniors last season, the Badgers look a whole lot different.

After graduating nine seniors and losing two additional players to the National Hockey League at the end of last season, Wisconsin has entered a rebuilding phase. Used to relying on offensive production and a solid defensive core, the Badgers are in unfamiliar territory this season.

“It’s been a very different dynamic in the locker room and on the ice,” LaBate said. “With a lot of the guys being so young, there are younger guys looking up to older guys and older guys filling new roles. It’s been a learning process for the whole team.”

Through four games, the Badgers have four losses. They’ve been outscored 11-3 and shut out twice.

The biggest surprise thus far is that UW’s freshman-dominated roster is not the issue. Players who produced points in droves last year—LaBate, Grant Besse, Kevin Schulze—have been notably absent from the score sheet. Wisconsin’s leading point producer, with no goals and two assists, is freshman forward Ryan Wagner.

Senior goaltender and usual starter Joel Rumpel has performed amicably amidst the Badgers’ low offensive output, yet senior Landon Peterson has been even better, allowing only one goal in a loss to Alaska-Anchorage in the only game he’s played this year.

Meanwhile, North Dakota is ranked No. 2 in the most recent USCHO poll, having swept Colorado College in October and recorded wins against Air Force, Bemidji State and the respectable No. 12 Providence. The team’s plus/minus stands at an impressive plus-26.

“They’re pretty skilled offensively,” Rumpel said. “They have some threats that can put the puck in the net. The main thing we’re going to focus on is just playing our systems and not running around too much, because if you give them an inch, they’ll take a mile.”

North Dakota’s offense isn’t its only asset. Junior goaltender Zane McIntyre has appeared in all of UND’s seven games, racking up a .931 save percentage in the process. The defense has been equally impressive, tallying 18 points as a unit so far.

To combat North Dakota’s size and skill, the Badgers will need help from players who have faced them before. Critical to Wisconsin’s rebuilding plan now is leadership and consistency from the upperclassmen and a freshman class that is willing to learn.

“I’m glad it’s not in North Dakota,” said head coach Mike Eaves of this weekend’s matchup in a Monday press conference. “[Because] we’re at home, [the younger players] are going to be excited. … The older guys are going to have to lead by example in their preparation and when they start playing.”

The puck drops for Wisconsin and North Dakota at the Kohl Center Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m.