Gov. Scott Walker calls for aggressive work in first cabinet meeting of new term

Newly re-elected Gov. Scott Walker met with his cabinet Wednesday for the first time since decisively winning a second term Tuesday evening.

The governor appeared relaxed, joking with cabinet members and his wife Tonette before thanking members of his administration for their work in propelling his campaign to victory.

While many speculated about Walker’s desires to launch a presidential campaign following his victory speech Tuesday night, the governor’s focus was entirely on state matters.

“How do we take the work of state agencies to the next level?” Walker asked.

Walker said he was “ready to get to work” in giving his constituents a “more effective, efficient and accountable government.”

He also encouraged his cabinet “to be even more aggressive” in working with the Republican controlled Legislature and stressed cooperation with local government as key elements of his second term.

Walker then announced plans to meet with Republican legislative leaders to determine the agenda for the upcoming session while underscoring his desire to quickly pass a new budget.

Walker defeated Democratic challenger Mary Burke by one point Tuesday to earn his third victory in four years. Republicans also picked up one seat in the state Senate, extending their majority to 19-14, and were also on pace to extend their majority in the Assembly, although three races remained too close to call Wednesday.