Fraternity seniors bike to Purdue to help raise money

While the notion of biking hundreds of miles, even for a good cause, may faze even the most dedicated athlete, the seniors in Sigma Phi Epsilon do this every year. The motive? To raise money for the American Family Children’s Hospital.

Each year, the fraternity conducts numerous fundraising events for the hospital as part of what the group dubs Tour de Touchdown. These efforts culminate with the senior members biking a game ball signed by head coach Gary Andersen, to an away football game. This year that game is this weekend’s contest against Purdue.

The events, which include lobbying community members for donations and an annual football tournament among sororities, have raised over $200,000 since Tour de Touchdown’s inception in 1991. Sig Ep philanthropy director Adam Sjoquist notes that the group typically raises at least $10,000 a year and has brought in over $50,000 in the past four years.

All the money raised is donated to the Child Life program at the American Family Children’s Hospital, a program designed to support the families of patients during their treatment.

“We had a family of six come speak to us who had a son [who] was at AFCH,” Sjoquist said. “The family said that being at the hospital was almost more fun than being at home because of the setup and because of the support they had for all the family members.”

“Knowing the positive effects of the program, we will continue to give our support because [the money we raise] obviously goes to a good cause.”

Beyond the philanthropic efforts, Sig Ep members also tout the social benefits of the bike ride. Senior members typically embark on their two-day bike ride on a Thursday and meet up with underclassmen members of the fraternity, who bus down from Madison, the next night.

The group then stays together at the house of the local Sig Ep chapter, bonding with their brothers and taking in the football game before heading back to Madison.

Senior Drew Kremer has looked forward to this opportunity since freshman year.

“Every since the first TDT trip I went on to Michigan State, I’ve anxiously awaited the chance to bike with all of my senior brothers,” Kremer said. “TDT is one of the most creative and well produced philanthropies on campus and I’m thrilled with the progress we as a chapter have made.”

Sjoquist agrees, calling it “one of the best events” the fraternity does.

“As an underclassman you look forward to joining with your pledge brothers who you have known since freshman year,” he said. “The event raises money for a great cause but it also solidifies friendship and caps off your time with [the fraternity].”