Five things to watch

1: Wisconsin’s shutdown defense

Coming off their fourth consecutive win, the Badgers (4-1 Big Ten, 7-2 overall) will have a tough task this weekend against Nebraska (4-1, 8-1). The ability of the Wisconsin defense to dominate games has been noticeable over the current four-game winning streak. 

This year they’ve held opponents to 14.3 points per game, third best in the country, and held Purdue to just 26 rushing yards last week.

This week, that challenge will be a little bit tougher. Wisconsin faces a Nebraska team that puts up the 10th-most rushing yards per game. That attack is led by running back Ameer Abdullah. All year Abdullah has been putting up numbers that put him right there with Melvin Gordon as one of the best backs in college football.

It will be interesting to see if the Wisconsin defense, with its injuries on the line, can contain Abdullah. If they are able to stop the run and force Nebraska to throw the football, we could see a high number of sacks as the Nebraska offense becomes more frustrated.

2: Successful use of Joel Stave and Tanner McEvoy

It finally looks like Joel Stave is over his early season struggles. While Wisconsin is continuing to use both Stave and Tanner McEvoy, it is becoming clear that Stave is the first choice. Against Purdue, Stave threw for 219 yards and two touchdowns.

Stave has been looking more confident in the pocket. He doesn’t seem to be rushing his throws and he is escaping pressure more easily while keeping his eyes downfield. 

When McEvoy is in, the game plan completely changes. Often, Wisconsin will line up with three other options in the backfield along with McEvoy, who is also a running threat. Due to all the options, some big plays happen when McEvoy is under center. There is still room for improvement, but with the way the running game opened everything up last week, the quarterbacks haven’t felt the pressure to make big plays.

3: Melvin Gordon against the Nebraska defense

Melvin Gordon is having an outstanding year. He is the nation’s leading rusher, at 1,501 yards, and is averaging over 150 yards per game. He has also scored the second most rushing touchdowns among running backs at 19. If Gordon can keep up these numbers, it is hard to imagine him not being in the conversation to win the Heisman Trophy.

However, continuing these numbers isn’t going to be easy against a tough Nebraska defense. This year Nebraska is holding its opponents to just 124 yards per game. This will be the toughest defense Wisconsin has faced since the season opener against LSU. 

Even then, Gordon was able to put up 140 yards and a touchdown. Expect Gordon to once again put up huge numbers and keep himself in the Heisman conversation.

4: Both teams control their own destiny

Both Wisconsin and Nebraska are tied for first in the Big Ten West, along with Minnesota. With both teams in control of their destiny, there is a little added pressure for this game. With both teams yet to play Minnesota and Iowa there is still a little hope for the losing team.

Simply put, win out and you’re in the Big Ten championship game.

Slowly but surely the Big Ten is returning to national respectability. Last weekend ESPN’s College Gameday was in East Lansing, Michigan, for the game between Michigan State and Ohio State. This weekend, the Badgers and the Cornhuskers will play a nationally televised game. 

With a win Wisconsin could catapult itself back into the conversation for a Rose Bowl berth and a good performance from Gordon can get more people talking about him as a Heisman candidate.

5: The Freedom Trophy

It was announced Monday that there would be another trophy game between two Big Ten schools. The newly created Freedom Trophy will be awarded for the first time Saturday to the winner of Nebraska and Wisconsin. 

The trophy commemorates the historic pasts of Camp Randall Stadium and Nebraska’s Memorial Stadium along with honoring the nation’s veterans. Half of the trophy looks like Camp Randall, while the other half looks like Memorial Stadium, and an American flag sits in the middle.

Included is an inscription that reads, “The Freedom Trophy pays tribute to the brave men and women who have fought in our nation’s wars. The University of Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium, built on what was once a Civil War training ground, and the University of Nebraska’s Memorial Stadium, dedicated in honor of our nation’s veterans, stand as proud monuments to those who have sacrificed so much in the name of freedom.”

The addition of the Freedom Trophy should add even more excitement to an already important game.