Finance Committee passes Family Care in bipartisan movement

The state Joint Committee on Finance acknowledged new bipartisan action Wednesday after approving an expansion of Family Care to several counties.

State Rep. Dean Knudson, R-Hudson, said he is pleased with this change, which stands in contrast to a prior session in which he described feelings of “contention and acrimony.” Because there were signs of wanting to become more bipartisan in that last session, Knudson said the Committee deserves credit for its cooperation.

Earlier in the meeting, the Committee unanimously passed an expansion of Family Care to Brown, Door, Kewaunee, Marinette, Menominee, Oconto and Shawano counties. State Rep. John Klenke, R-Green Bay, said the expansion is a matter of equity to accommodate the needs of the elderly and disabled.

Family Care is long-term care that services people with physical, developmental and intellectual disabilities.

According to Klenke, about 56 counties have Family Care. State Rep. John Nygren, R-Marinette, said approving these benefits in these counties will maintain the standard of care available for the rest of Wisconsin. In this bipartisan movement, Knudson says the Committee’s approval is proof of its combined collaboration.

Knudson spoke of legislative action around the state and the continued effort to make the Family Care benefit the next big issue.

“… [The statewide call for action] was a pretty loud chorus of voices, and it was asking for bipartisan action,” Knudson said.

Approving the contracts for Family Care is one in a list of actions the Committee has done in a

bipartisan fashion, according to Knudson.

The approved Family Care benefits will become available to the counties in early 2015.