Gen Carter

ASM Chair Genevieve Carter says it is important for students to be a part of the conversation on university decisions.

ASM hears presentation sexual assault prevention

The Associated Students of Madison Coordinating Council heard a presentation Wednesday from the End Violence on Campus program on how UW-Madison students can get involved with ending sexual assault.

University Health Services created the EVOC initiative in an effort to prevent violence before it happens as well as provide services for victims of sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.

EVOC representative Samantha Johnson outlined the program’s role in the White House’s recent It’s On Us, a movement challenging college students to see the individual role they can take to prevent sexual assault in their community.

Johnson explained what students on campus can do to support the campaign, specifically describing the importance of being active bystanders in potentially harmful situations.

“The very first step is actually saying that ‘I am proud to represent UW-Madison in this way and I’m not afraid to voice my support for survivors,’” Johnson said.

UW-Madison intends to sign on as an official partner of the campaign next week, according to Johnson.

ASM Chair Genevieve Carter also discussed the release of the 2013-2014 Campus Strategic Framework, a document created by former Provost Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. outlining basic goals, visions and priorities for the university.

Carter explained that while communication with students had been an effort of the Framework in the past, this year’s drafting of the document did not include ASM.

The Council discussed several aspects of the plan they felt they could contribute to, including the document’s mention of the Wisconsin Idea.

Legislative Affairs Committee Chair Tom Gierok said he would have liked to see a better definition of the idea in the document, as well as more tangible applications of the idea.

Carter said it would be appropriate for ASM to communicate with the new provost regarding the framework.

“If nothing else, it would be valuable to have a conversation with the provost about our values and our vision for what students should be experiencing,” Carter said.

Diversity Committee Chair Dolly Wang also introduced the goals of the Diversity Framework Committee and asked for Council input on implementation, but the group took no official action.

The Council will meet again Dec. 10.