Friday, July 26, 2024

Adaptive fitness event opens to all students Saturday

The Southeast Recreational Facility will host an annual event open to students of all abilities called “Badgers ADAPT” to encourage adaptive and Paralympic sports from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.

UW-Madison Division of Recreational Sports and UW-Madison Kinesiology Adapted Fitness created this event to provide inclusionary activities for all participants, as well as to raise awareness of diversity and the challenge of adapting to different situations, according to a university press release.

Coordinator of Competitive Sports Ashley Lax said in the release they hope to expose more students to adaptive sports.

“I hope students take away an understanding of others,” Lax said in the release. “Diversity in all forms is important to the development of students on this campus. After participating in Badgers ADAPT, I hope students have a deeper appreciation for individual diversity.”

This year’s event at the SERF includes a sitting volleyball contest, power soccer and cross-country skiing Paralympic time trials. Over 125 students participated in Badgers ADAPT last year.

Steve Baskis, a biathlete who lost his sight serving for the U.S. Army, will also speak at the event.