Heating Award

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services provided heating and energy assistance funds for low-income households.

Wisconsin receives $92.9 million for energy assistance

Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., announced Wednesday Wisconsin received $92.9 million in heating and home energy assistance funds in a proactive movement to help low-income households this winter.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services provided the funds to the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program to help those who cannot afford to heat their homes in the winter, according to a press release.

In a letter to the department, Baldwin and 46 senators requested the timely release of LIHEAP funds.

“This funding has been … helping to ensure that recipients do not have to choose between paying their energy bills and paying for other necessities like food or medicine,” the senators wrote in the letter.

The funds will help to make sure people can afford resources like propane this year. Last January’s severe weather caused a propane shortage, raising the price of propane to a record high of over $4 per gallon, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration’s website.